On today's episode, we took a different approach to this big topic and worked with Selina Kenmille, her son Leighton Wise Spirit, and Heather Atwin to have a round table discussion instead of the usual back-and-forth we have between just the two of us. We touch on all sorts of topics ranging from fry bread and Indin' tacos to suicide awareness and coping tools for everyday life. This was a heartfelt episode that was fun, and sad, and inspired both of us to be better people. Enjoy!
Here are some of the ideas we talk about:
- Variations on frybread making
- Struggles with alcohol and drinking
- What it's like being a teenager on the rez
- The benefits of doing things that are scary
- Modern technology and socializing
- The challenges of being and having parents
- How we cope with difficult situations
- The connection between food, habits, and health
- Differences in social, cultural, and economic situations
- Our different perspectives on responsibility
- Having transgender children and siblings
- The complexity and nuance of emotions
- 5 tips for being Indigenous in the Modern World
Links & Resources:
Fry Bread Recipe (But be sure to ask your grandma too!)
12 Rules for Life by Jordan Peterson
Like this show? Leave us a review here... even one sentence helps! And if you leave your Twitter handle we'll be sure to thank you personally!
You can also Support the Show on PayPal.
For this episode, we took a section of the live-stream event we did at the AISES National Conference on October 6th and turned it...
This is a special episode where Annie, Turtle, and their fellow grad-student Kaya DeerInWater come together for a "workshop" on the idea of bringing...
On today’s show, we have a conversation about his story. Brett has experienced some amazing things in his life and we only touch the...