Kaya DeerInWater is a close friend of ours and we’re excited to finally have him on the show. He’s the other member of our graduate cohort and we’ve wanted to have him on the show for over a year now. Kaya’s a dedicated and loving family man, he’s a brilliant botanist in the making, and he has a lot of knowledge about ecological restoration.
Some of the main things we talk about today are:
- Kaya’s childhood, his connection to culture, and academic background
- How he got from California to graduate school in New York
- Some of the challenges he faced doing his research
- Where his love for plants started and made its way into his work
- The usefulness of his research for other Indigenous communities
- His children and the legacy he wants to leave them
- Kaya’s 3 tips for being Indigenous in the modern world
Links & Resources:
Like this show? Leave us a review here... even one word or one sentence helps! And if you leave your Twitter handle we'll be sure to thank you personally!
We're back! And we're beginning our brand new season with a fun Halloween episode. We share stories about the Deer Woman, go over the...
For this episode, we took a section of the live-stream event we did at the AISES National Conference on October 6th and turned it...
Today we talk about a word that's captivating to some, terrifying to others, and controversial in many ways... Wild. We go over the definition,...